May 2021 Operating session




The last operating session was held in March. Since then not much has happened on the K&EFR. Grandson Liam and I have completed the 1:24 scale Airfix Spitfire but I forgot to take a photo. Liam and I also built a 1:72 scale Focke Wolfe 190 during the school holidays. Also I have been working on projects for the club (Adelaide Model Railroaders).

The only small new stuff on the K&EFR is the addition of some gravel around the Gilleston passenger shelter. See below.

The Gilleston shelter is a souvenir from the old Adelaide Model Railroaders’ layout that was in the Mt Lofty railway station. It plays no part in K&EFR operations.

And above, while doing some pruning in the garden recently I cut up some twigs and make a load suitable for placement in an open wagon.


The May session was the first session with a full crew since March 2020 after which we reduced numbers to allow plenty of social distancing space. However from now on sessions will be capped at five, Controller, Hostler, Kanunda yard master and two road crews. It does become somewhat crowded with more operators which require two man crews.

A Call Board has been instituted instead of me appointing operators to certain jobs. Please can operators sign up for the job that they would like to do as they arrive. The Call Board worked well for this session so we shall keep on with it and see how it works out and perhaps it will become a permanent thing.

Rod and Peter signed on as the road crews, John, Kanunda yard master, Paul, Hostler and myself controller. We got away in good time. I had changed the sequence at the beginning of the session having the Stonie  leave Cooper before the Grain Extra to Maranalgo. This change did not work particularly well and caused some delays, but we got the Adelaide super freighter and the Melbourne Jet away on time by delaying the Maranalgo goods. All of the other time table trains ran late and we ran so late in the end that the up Mt Gambier goods was not run at all.

I think that because of missing last months session because I had a cold and not operating regularly due to the reduced numbers we were all somewhat rusty. John took the YM job so that he could become more familiar with it, but he soon fell behind and was under some pressure. A word of advice from Rod, the expert YM, after the session was to try to get as many pick ups done early on, especially those from Laucke Mills and Athol Freezers for which you have to cross the main line.

Above: 858 is running round the empty Grain Extra so as to shunt the grain hoppers up to the silos at Maranalgo.

Above: At Kanunda, to the left 842 has come off the Myrtle Springs goods and is stabled in track 5. 503 is setting two grain hoppers, that the Grain Extra left, out at the silos. To the far right S301’s nose comes into the picture as it passes through Kanunda right on time with the Melbourne Jet. 

Above: 949 is out on the upper Bindieye Creek bridge as it shunts two of the down roadside good’s wagons into Kanunda yard.

Above: After returning to Kanunda with the up Maranalgo goods 840 and its brake van was trapped in Kanunda yard for some time.

Above: 949 departing Kanunda with the down roadside goods.

Above: The last train run for the session was 403 the down Myrtle Springs goods which made it as far as Wooldowie. When checking the layout Wednesday morning I noticed that the OB wagon with red doors was for Kanunda yard not Wooldowie. 403 was supposed to have a grey D van instead.

That reminds me that just to add to Johns confusion as YM the up Myrtle Springs good arrived at Kanunda with way bills for two cars which were supposed to come to Kanunda, but the cars were left behind at Wooldowie. No wonder John was confused.

Time got away from us. We did not have time to complete the up roadside goods and the down Myrtle Springs goods’ runs and the up Mt Gambier goods did not run at all.

So with the clock nearing 2200 hours we called it a night and broke for some tea coffee and cake.

All said that they enjoyed the session. I thank you all for coming along to what turned out to be a very interesting operating session on the K&EFR.

Thanks Ken.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s